Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Great Sand Springs Civil War of 2010

I grew up in the 19038 zip code. Glenside, PA pride :D

But don't tell that to people who live in Ardsley, PA. They use "our" zip code too but according to the US Postal Service "19038 (ARDSLEY, PA IS NOT ACCEPTABLE - USE GLENSIDE". Oh and same goes for my friends in North Hills "19038 (NORTH HILLS, PA IS NOT ACCEPTABLE - USE GLENSIDE).

Oh and technically....Glenside isn't a "town". It is a CDP, a census designated place, located in Abington, Cheltenham, and Springfield Townships. I grew up on the Abington Township side of the tracks, literally. There are train tracks that divide the two townships. If you are at the train station and waiting to go INBOUND to Philadelphia, you are in Cheltenham Township. OUTBOUND passengers load up in Abington Township.

(Incidentally, the boundary between Ardsley/North Hills and Glenside is also train tracks)

The trash talking that goes back and forth about which side of the tracks within the 19038 is pretty legendary :)

I have friends who live and grew up in Mt Airy, Roxborough, Chestnut Hill, Germantown, Mayfair, Frankfurt. These places don't exist either. They are all within the city limits of Philadelphia, PA.

I have had many friends who lived in Oreland, PA. That's a CDP of Springfield and Upper Dublin Townships.

There is a point here....I'm getting there....bear with me.

My husband opened up a hornet's nest, a hopping, mad, really angry hornet's nest here in Sand Springs. He wrote a column regarding Prattville vs Sand Springs.

http://www.sandspringsleader.com/articles/2010/02/10/opinion/doc4b6e44f4c9d8b329394089.txt


The history of the Civil War


A brief history, albeit not detailed, regarding this civil war.

Sand Springs is a town founded by Charles Page on the north side of the river.

Prattville was a town on the south side of the river founded by Henry (or is it Harry) Pratt.

At some point, I think in the 1960's, Prattville was annexed by Sand Springs. In doing so, Prattville became part of Sand Springs. And that chip has been held on the shoulder of generations (ok, one generation) of Prattvillians.

When I moved here, I only knew Sand Springs. I live on the north side of Sand Springs, when I cross the Arkansas River, I am on the south side of Sand Springs. When I do cross the bridge, it is generally to take Gracie to the vet, go to Braum's for ice cream, or to get on I-44 in Salpulpa. Everything I need is pretty much on the north side. Same goes for the Prattvillians. They typically only cross the bridge to go to Walmart. That's because each side has a QuikTrip, a Sonic, and a Mazzio's. All are staples for any Tulsa area community. Each side also has an elementary school and a library too.

What's your point, Katie

My point, here is that there is no need to get angry about this!

I'm used to growing up in "towns" that aren't really towns because in PA most of us live in townships. I identify myself as a Glenside gal, I'm proud of my 19038 roots just as someone from Ardsley and North Hills is proud to be part of their little corner of 19038 in Abington Township or Upper Dublin Township.

It's all about the sense of community that comes with having pride in where you are from and having FUN with it! Some good fun ribbing about which "side" is better is good and can help a community grow but carrying on about the economic advantages or disadvantages of one side over the other is just plain silly. I would gladly trade our Carl's Jr for a Braum's but I'm not going to complain about having to cross the bridge to get those decadent, gooey, wonderful towers of chocolate and fudge goodness....where was I?.....oh yeah.....

Sand Springs, both sides of the river, are the 74063 zp code. Whether you are in North Sand Springs, South Sand Springs, Prattville, Tulsa County or Osage County. It's one big...happy?...community :) The bridge isn't THAT long and, despite what you might hear, the traffic is virtually non-existent.

So, my advice to Sandites (both sides), take pride in being from Sand Springs. There are alot of good things starting to happen on both sides of the river. Heck, visit each other every now again. The walk across the river has a fabulous view of the city of Tulsa. You might want to check it out when the weather gets warm.


Bloggers note: sorry if this was a rambling editorial but I just had to get this out! :)

Second bloggers note: Way to go skate park organizers in Sand Springs...y'all are one step closer!

No comments: