Monday, April 20, 2009

You can go home again.

This was a tough week for me, I'm gonna be honest.

First, I found out Phillies broadcaster, Harry Kalas died. I lost a piece of childhood :( I actually teared up when I heard and for the rest of the day I had a heavy heart.

And then the other shoe, the much much bigger shoe dropped.....

My grandmom passed away April 13th.

She was 2 weeks from her 97th birthday and you get really spoiled having someone that special in your life for that long. Saying good-bye to her was one of the toughest things I have ever had to do.

So, Friday I found myself sitting next to my hubby at Tulsa International at 6am waiting for my flight back home to Philadelphia. I was to land at 12pm Friday and my return flight left at 5:30pm on Sunday. I had 54 1/2 hours.

The weekend was short and bittersweet. Seeing my sisters and parents was exactly what I needed after not being home for 5 months. And then there were seemingly endless introductions of my extended family (Grandmom had 6 kids, 17 grandkids, 8 greatgrandkids, was one of 10 siblings, and had more nieces & nephews than I could even count)......"OMG, Katie, I haven't seen you since you were young and looked like Annie. You can't possibly be old enough to be married." That got a smile or two out of me.

I spent alot of time hanging out with my cousins (can they possibly be old enough to drink? I used to babysit these kids!). Then there was the night out with my sisters. Bedtime for me, Mandie, Dustin, and Pat (the over 30 crowd) came at 10pm. The youngins continued on without us.

I was able to spend time with my friend Susan and with some of my friends from West Chester. It made me really realize how blessed I am that I can go home and be able to catch up right where I left off :)

A bonus to the weekend was that we left the cold and rain in Tulsa to an unseasonably sunny, warm, spring weekend in Philadelphia. It was perfect weather and made me feel just a little bit better.

So, now I'm back in Tulsa. Getting ready to go back to work and listening to my annoying porch sitting whistling neighbor (it is driving me INSANE right now).

Hopefully it will be a better week.

No comments: