Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Twas the day before an Okie Christmas

Christmas Eve 2008.

While I'm sitting here waiting for hubby to get home from work so we can head out to get the "one last gift" and food, liquor, and wine for tomorrow, I thought I'd give you a little tour of the Yankee/Okie home at Christmas :)

The house we are currently renting is a cute little craftsman style house pretty common in this area since alot of these homes were built in the 1920's & 30's. The problem we ran into when trying to decorate the outside is that there are no exterior outlets so we couldn't hang lights. But we made do with some garland, bows, and glittery snowflakes. Oh, and apparently we kept the hay bale and scarecrows from the fall because I honestly forgot they were there til I looked at the picture.



Speaking of the snowflakes.....they have become a weathervane of sorts for me. They hang from the eaves that over-hang the porch (a signature of the craftsman style house). Anyway, in the wind, those poor things get blown every which way but, we have not lost one yet! We had wind gusts to 45mph one day and those little buggers hung tight :) Although the one keeps getting wrapped up in the garland.





Inside, we have a non-fuctioning fireplace in the living room. It was once a real fireplace turned into a gas fireplace turned into a sealed-off decorative mantle.

We have a real tree but I forget what kind we bought. It was the least expensive kind, I can tell you that much because trees are expensive! We did make a very wise decision when we decorated the tree: shatter proof ornaments! However, we've had one two part problem with the tree.

First, we put it close to a heat vent because we insisted on having its pretty red, green, and white lights visible from the street. We have two heating vents in the living, both are beneath the windows. So, the tree requires daily watering. Which leads me to problem number two. The cat (Princess Fluffy Butt), likes to drink the pine tree water rather than the purified water in her bowl. So, no matter how much we water the tree we have a potential timber fire in our living room. You live and learn.



Speaking of Princess Fluffy Butt, my arch-rival and nemesis (who I will defeat because despite what she may think, I am higher on the food chain), we decorated her too. It might explain why she has been ambushing our feet from her secret lair under the dining room table which is in the direct path from the living room to the kitchen.



Well, I hope you enjoyed the little tour of casa de Yankee. Have a wonderful, safe, happy Christmas Eve!

No comments: