Today was a beautiful sunny day. A day that when you look out the window you think "Wow. It is a beautiful sunny day". Til you turn on the Weather Channel and the temperature reads 15.
Dustin and I had been looking for an afternoon to see the Ansel Adams: A Legacy exhibit at the Gilcrease Museum and today provided the perfect opportunity.
http://www.gilcrease.org
The Gilcrease is a museum of specializing in Native American art and the history of the America West. It's located 15 minutes from our house so there really is no excuse why we shouldn't spend alot of time there. I can't wait til the spring when the museum gardens are in full bloom!
http://www.gilcrease.org/gardens.aspx)
There are actually two exhibits there right now, both ending in January.
We first went to the 101 Ranch: The Real Wild West exhibit. From what I learned today, the 101 Ranch was a giant Wild West circus set up in Ponca City, OK. The exhibit was full of photos taken of the different performers and their specialities. It was a really fun exhibit :)
Ansel Adams: A Legacy is a traveling exhibit of 138 prints by Ansel Adams. It was an incredibly well put together exhibit. I also loved how they included quotes by Ansel Adams on the wall that helped you kind of understand of what he was experiencing when the photos were taken whether it was in San Fran or Yosemites or Sierra Nevadas. I am so happy that we were able to see this exhibit before it is over on Jan 4th.
The musuem has original fine art works by Thomas Moran (he does alot of landscape paintings) and Frederic Remington (who did some unbelievable bronzes). In addition, they have extensive collection of the original Native American textiles.
So that was our little bit of culture for December.
Tulsa actually has a number of small museums & public gardens. I'll have to blog about the Philbrook museum come springtime when we go back there to explore the gardens. I was there in the summer when it was 106 degrees out and would like to get back so I can enjoy walking around. Then there's also the Tulsa Rose Garden which I am super excited about!
Looking forward to going back to the Gilcrease and making some garden field trip bloggings in the springtime :D
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment