Monday, January 5, 2009

My car is an Oklahoma resident, I am not

Today I decided to take a giant leap in leaving my old Yankee self behind and move into my new life as an Oklahoma resident. I attempted (key word and emphasis on attempted) to change my car registration and driver's license.

Oklahoma requires things done in a specific order:
#1 - insure your car in Oklahoma
#2 - change your car registration to Oklahoma
#3 - get your new Oklahoma driver's license

I changed my car insurance back in December because it was due anyway. Geico made it incredibly easy so, the whole process took 5 minutes and I got rental insurance too.

Today, I took everything I thought they could possibly need to change the registration and to get my driver's license (which are done at the same tag agency, or so I thought). I brought: my PA registration, my PA license, my car insurance information with the Oklahoma address, my passport, certified copies of my marriage license, my car payment account number, a water bill from the city showing that I am living at that Oklahoma address & paying utilities there, me, and the Saturn.

The changing of my registration was a fairly simple process.

For $117.50 (if I had used my credit/debit card it would have been an additional 2.5%added on, someone explain that to me), my car is now registered in OK with a nice new license plate. The registration will remain in my maiden name until it is paid off and THEN I can change my name on the title. OR I can go back to GMAC, have them do that now, then go back and get my registration changed now. I'll take the first option, thank you very much.

I was feeling very relieved that the registration process was so easy and I was anxious to get done, get my new license and get home.

Not so fast.

In order to get my new Oklahoma license, I MAY or MAY NOT have to take a driving test!!!!! Keeping in mind, I have had my license since I was 17 and have had zero accidents, one moving violation, and 2 parking tickets. PA is perfectly comfortable with me driving the Schuylkill, the Lincoln Drive, the Blue Route, and I-95 both in and out of rush hour but, Oklahoma MAY or MAY NOT be so sure I can handle its wide open highways.

May or may not is determined by the driver's license guy who is only at our particular tag agency the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month. So on the 14th of this month, I get to find out if I do have to take the driver's test or if they just give me a new license. I know I will be required to take the vision exam and given the fact that I wear glasses, I'm curious to see how that works out.

So, my car is no longer the only PA car in town. It now just blends in with the rest of the Oklahoma cars. Well....it does sort of stand out with the big Phillies sticker on the back and then there's Immaculata University & New York University stickers in the window and the ADK (Adirondacks) euro sticker on the window. So it is still hanging onto its roots :)







My car now sits in the driveway with its new license plate which looks really funny IMHO. I mean, the colors go better with the gray paint than the yellow, blue, and white of the PA tags but it just doesn't look right. At least I still have the yellow, blue and white driver's license for another 2 weeks!

No comments: